Humble Beginings


Spotting the grey haired lady by the acacia trees near the small gate of our school, I made a fast exit from the class room. By the time I realized my discourtesy to the class teacher, I was too far removed to make out the reprimands she uttered. Upon confirming that it was her indeed, my curiosity turned to anxiety.  As I fell into my mother’s embrace, all the emotions in me came pouring out; tears of redemption. The news I was about to break, regarded what to date, rates amongst the most significant achievements I have ever reached. 

That day was the first visitation Sunday of the third term, academic year 1995. The trauma and stigma from my demotion were still tormenting me. I had joined Mwiri primary school the term before, as a primary three Pupil. However, having come last in all that term’s exams, the class teacher decided to demote me to primary two. In his expert opinion, I lacked “basic skills” for this level. It was either a demotion to primary two, or an involuntary change of schools. Mama settled for the demotion.
In my new class, results did not get any better. I came last throughout the entire second term. This propelled me to the very bottom of the social chain; I was not only small, “very dark skinned,” and broke. I was also the dumbest of them all. Unable to command any friends or allies, I became the target of all bullies, and bully me, they did, the class teacher included. For solace, I resorted to silence. Any approach was met with ferocity until the person proved his innocent intentions. 

In the second term break, having come last, I stashed my report card into mommy’s suit case. I was too ashamed to face her until one evening when I ran out of reasons and places to hide. That evening, she summoned me to her presence. Such summons only materialized out of gross indiscipline on our part. A thorough reprimand was to be expected. To my perplex-ion, there was none. Instead, she beckoned me to sit beside her. Out of the very suit case I had stashed my report card; she pulled out a piece of paper. It had 97% written on it.

“This is the result of a test I took while you were at school. I am your mother and I am intelligent. Your father is a successful engineer, a big man in the Uganda Police Force. He is intelligent. You are our son, meaning that you are very intelligent. We took you to a very good school in order for you to find that intelligence. So next term, you have to prove me right. You have to find that gift of yours!” 

The pain in her voice was only matched by the agony written on her face.
Up until that moment, the above image stuck in my mind. Her words weighed heavy on my chest. I longed to put a smile on mama's face, and this time, I had the perfect news to do so. Still sobbing in her embrace I let the cat out of the bag! 

 “Mommy, I found my intelligence! I did not come last this time! I defeated one pupil!
 



 

Comments