In Diaspora


Image Source:armenianweekly.com

It’s almost the last day of the year, another year.
I look back, ponder and concur, it was a good year; At least for me.
Then I look upward, towards the never ending puzzle; The future; My Future!

What do I want in the coming year, will I simmer off as always, will I stand my ground, make room for more ground as I wonder in this life under the dome?

I awaken, shower, and partake of His word (sometimes). It always gets difficult, the questions only get bolder, my spirit wanes, Lord I know you are out there, send me a hug if you hear me! Please!

I boil water, drink tea; Green Tea (no sugar), just in time for my commute. Then I sit 8 to 10 hours, and then commute once again, back to my slumber. As i close my eyes, I hope to awaken in my better tomorrow. Instead, I awaken to this daily routine. This hustle I have been on  for five or so years. Better Tomorrow never comes! 

2019, is this what you have in store for me? Is this all there is to life?

The phone buzzes, a text. The stranger I have brought closer than any a colleague!
Their word speaks of the alternative. What if we could embrace? 

Time check, Its 09:07, I’m late for my morning reports.
Hold on. Another buzz, mother is reaching out. Her text speaks of the future absent.
“When I am gone, you will send flowers, but I won’t see them.  Send them now!”
“Mother I love you so Much” I reply.
“I love you too” she replies. Why can’t we embrace? 

“Boma, How far naa; How is the going?”  That’s Wogu; my comrade in this struggle! I love him dearly.    
“I thank God oh!” I try to shoot back. But he has moved ahead. I only catch a glimpse of him. He is a man about his business. May be I should mind mine.

Some rumblings in Hindi! It must the cash count! 
Life moves on rapidly In this part of the world. I am not certain about it in yours!
“How are you man?” a gentle voice and a pat on my back. It’s the chef!

Then Silence. At last! Everyone seems gone, all about their business in this life we call work!
If it stays so for a while, I may get back to thinking about you, the stranger reading this!

Happy New Year!

A stranger whispers from the diaspora!

Comments

Post a Comment