Me, Myself and My Hallucinations!



The picture is clear; The setting peaceful. At the end of focal range, the sun calls it quits, as the last of her rays disappear into the horizon. Sharp noises permeate my state of being. It's the children going about their evening games and chores. Whatever they are upto, I take care not to indulge. It often spoils the fun for them.


“Don’t be such a Rod!”  A female voice seems to whisper into my ear, her hands gently enveloping me into her embrace.  “They say children get their stubbornness from their fathers! It is Time for the evening stories. You promised to tell us something interesting! Everyone seems anxious!” She murmurs, as she leads me into the living room.

The extreme but sudden fall in the surrounding temperatures returns me to consciousness. “Damn warehouse! I am no cabbage!”I exclaim, while rushing to adjust the room a.c. This is my reality. Somehow, the paths I have chosen have led me to this moment. This, my “Prison.” My earlier vision is but a hallucination. A remnant of that simple life I always dreamt about leading.

The view from the balcony would be perfect, if only the vicinity had any green in it! All I see are rooftops, cluttered with water tanks, satellite dishes and rusty pipes. The air is filled with sand particles. A swipe of my face, minutes later, is proof enough! With each breath I take, my oesophagus bruises from the particles I inhale! Soon I return to the solitude of my room. Not even the best reggae music (playing in the background all along) will calm my nerves! My head and neck resonate painfully to every reverberation the speaker throws out. I switch off that thing!

Mine was always a simple dream. I’d work out my twenties, before retreating to some remote bearing in my early thirties. There I’d put up a simple structure and convince my wife to spend the rest of our lives, tending to our offspring. They would grow up, raised the way any child ought to be.  Encouraged to dream big and go after their dreams. That would be our home. We would all lead happy lives filled with God’s blessings!

“Who could possibly want to see me at this time of the day?” I ask myself, hoping that whoever was buzzing the doorbell would retreat to wherever he had come from.
“Good Evening sir, sorry for disturbing your piece, at this inopportune point in time. Actually. Aaagh I am from the Sandile restaurant,  at ground floor. I come asking if you wanting to make order for food.  Room delivery…  Are you hungry sir?”
If not by the most Divine of Graces, I have no clue as to how I kindled the anger this gentleman ignited in me!



“No sir, I am not hungry, but thanks for thinking about me. I really appreciate it!” I kindly replied, rushing to close the door.
“Ok Sir, thank you for your timing, please this is number for us. Call anytime and we deliver to your room direct” the gentleman replied, his voice getting louder, his speech faster, with each millimetre that the door shut.  “Sure thing Boss! I will give you a call…”  I doubt he heard the last sentence. The door had closed.

How did things get to this!

How and when, did I get here!
Why?
 Whatever this desert won’t do to me!

To be continued……….

Comments